Nevada Barr's protagonist, Anna Pigeon, is a national park ranger, which provides for some interesting locales. Not surprisingly, Barr was once a park ranger in real life. The park settings are very faithfully portrayed - I have recognized numerous locations described in her books, and even took a panorama at the exact spot where Pigeon fell off a cliff in the Guadalupe Mountains.
The Anna Pigeon mystery series now numbers 15 titles, all set in national parks and eight of them in the west.
- Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon Mysteries
- Track of the Cat (1993) - Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas
- A Superior Death (1994) - Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
- Ill Wind (1995) - Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado
- Firestorm (1996 Lassen Volcanic National Park, California
- Endangered Species (1997) Cumberland Island National Seashore, Georgia
- Blind Descent (1998) - Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
- Liberty Falling (1999) - Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island National Monuments, New York
- Deep South (2000) - Natchez Trace Parkway, Mississippi
- Blood Lure (2001) - Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park, Montana and Alberta
- Hunting Season (2002) - Natchez Trace Parkway, Mississippi
- Flashback (2003) - Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida
- High Country (2004) - Yosemite National Park, California
- Hard Truth (2005) - Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
- Winter Study (2008) - Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
- Borderline (2009) - Big Bend National Park, Texas
For related information see the section on Mystery Writers.
Copyright G. Donald Bain