360° VR Panoramas of Southern Louisiana - Cajun Country and New Orleans
Algiers Point Ferry
On the Mississippi River south of New Orleans, Louisiana


Click on a thumbnail image to open an interactive 360° panorama in a new window.
On the Algiers Point / Canal Street Ferry

On the Algiers Point / Canal Street Ferry

The Algiers Point / Canal Street Ferry is an excellent and inexpensive way to experience the great Mississippi River. It has been in operation since 1827, and crosses at the river's deepest point, about 200 feet (60 meters).

Algiers, Louisiana

Date photographed: November 14, 2015
See location in Google Maps

Algiers Ferry in dock on the West Bank.

Algiers Ferry in dock on the West Bank.

Algiers lies on the west bank of the Mississippi, even though it is actually to the southeast of downtown New Orleans. It once carried cars and trucks but is now limited to pedestrians and bicycles.

Algiers, Louisiana

Date photographed: November 14, 2015
See location in Google Maps

The Algiers Ferry Terminal

The Algiers Ferry Terminal

Until 1958, when the Greater New Orleans Bridge was completed, this ferry was the only direct connection between downtown New Orleans and the West Bank.

Algiers, Louisiana

Date photographed: November 14, 2015
See location in Google Maps

Mississippi River Levee in Algiers

Mississippi River Levee in Algiers

Algiers is the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans, founded in 1719. There is a ten mile bike path along the top of the levee, featuring solar-powered street lights and statues of famous jazz musicians.

Algiers, Louisiana

Date photographed: November 14, 2015
See location in Google Maps

Historic Algiers Point from the Mississippi River Levee

Historic Algiers Point from the Mississippi River Levee

The high levee along the great river gives a good view over the Algiers Point Historic District in one direction and across the river to New Orleans in the other. The steamboat Natchez is seen here crossing in front of the French Quarter.

Algiers, Louisiana

Date photographed: November 14, 2015
See location in Google Maps

Previous locality: Jefferson Parish Next locality: Barataria Preserve