360° VR Panoramas of Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur and the Central Coast
Custom House Plaza
Monterey State Historical Park, Monterey, California

Custom House Plaza is a combination of historic structures, new buildings, and public spaces. The heavy flow of traffic through this area to Cannery Row and Pacific Grove was a problem solved by a tunnel under the plaza. Though not originally a financial success the creation of this historic area without traffic was a notable redevelopment success.

The Custom House itself is one of the most important historic buildings in the state. Other historic buildings line the new plaza and the narrow streets behind, along with a modern conference center and museum.

Wikipedia: Old Customhouse (Monterey, California)

Click on a thumbnail image to open an interactive 360° panorama in a new window.
Custom House Plaza in Monterey

Custom House Plaza in Monterey

A large plaza flanked by museums and historic buildings now extends inland from the Custom House to the hotel and conference center.

Monterey State Historic Park, California

Date photographed: April 3, 2012
See location in Google Maps

Veranda at the Monterey Custom House

Veranda at the Monterey Custom House

The Custom House at Monterey, built in 1827, was where Commodore Sloat raised the American flag in 1846.

Monterey State Historic Park, California

Date photographed: April 3, 2012
See location in Google Maps

In the Old Custom House in Monterey

In the Old Custom House in Monterey

Display of trade goods at the old Custom House, center of California commerce in the Mexican period.

Monterey State Historic Park, California

Date photographed: May 19, 2012
See location in Google Maps

Camper van in the Museum of Monterey

Camper van in the Museum of Monterey

A 1960's VW camper van in the foyer of the Museum of Monterey on Custom House Plaza.

Monterey State Historic Park, California

Date photographed: May 19, 2012
See location in Google Maps

California's First Theater

California's First Theater

Built in 1846 and used as a tavern, this tiny building was used as a theater by US Army officers in 1850.

Monterey State Historic Park, California

Date photographed: April 3, 2012
See location in Google Maps

Previous locality: Monterey Harbor Next locality: Pacific House