360° VR Panoramas of South Texas
The Town of Goliad
Texas


Click on a thumbnail image to open an interactive 360° panorama in a new window.
Goliad Plaza

Goliad Plaza

Impressive historic buildings make an almost unbroken row along two sides of the courthouse square in Goliad, with additional interesting buildings on the two other sides. Goliad was founded as an explicitly Texian (American) town after independence in 1836, eclipsing the Spanish/Mexican settlements at the mission and fort.

Goliad, Texas

Date photographed: April 4, 2014
See location in Google Maps

Goliad County Courthouse

Goliad County Courthouse

This grand courthouse was built in 1894 of stone and brick. In 1920 the clock tower and cupolas were removed, but restored in 2003. Historic building line the courthouse square.

Goliad, Texas

Date photographed: April 4, 2014
See location in Google Maps

The famous hanging tree in the Goliad Town Square

The famous hanging tree in the Goliad Town Square

The famous hanging tree stands conveniently close to the courthouse in Goliad. But its use for executions occurred long before construction of the present building.

Goliad, Texas

Date photographed: April 4, 2014
See location in Google Maps

Goliad Historic District

Goliad Historic District

Heritage buildings, such as the red-steepled Market House, are scattered around the courthouse square in Goliad. The town was originally located adjacent to La Bahia fortress, but to avoid uncertainties about land title was relocated a mile north to its present location after Texas became independent in 1836.

Goliad, Texas

Date photographed: April 4, 2014
See location in Google Maps

Previous locality: Mission Espada Next locality: Goliad Mission